The success of a software development project depends heavily on the processes followed by the development team. The methodology/processes deployed need to align with the project’s unique requirements to ensure overall product efficacy.
The sphere of software development contains a plethora of processes/development methodologies with specific pros and cons. Only an informed choice between these methodologies can ensure successful development, testing, and delivery.
To understand which process is best for your business, let’s skim over the most-used development processes available today-
If you wish to reduce risks to the point of near-complete elimination, the Agile process comes up as a strong contender. With the agile methodology in place, development teams can avoid buggy code, stretched budgets, and the need to rework code when requirements evolve.
The Agile methodology proposes an iterative process in which teams are encouraged to fail fast and build faster. An Agile process consists of iterative mini-increments on the software being developed. These mini-increments, also known as Agile sprints, are facilitated by frequent scrum meetings, the crystal methodology, feature-driven development, and extreme programming.
- Agile software development facilitates incremental releases.
- It offers simplistic error checking and bug removal.
- The Agile methodology allows the development process to remain in synergy with the client’s requirements.
- It offers a rapid realization of the software’s benefits.
- Since Agile development relies on real-time communication, sometimes detailed documentation takes a backseat.
- In organizations accustomed to the waterfall method, adjusting to the Agile methodology might prove difficult.
DevOps Deployment Methodology
DevOps goes beyond the boundaries of merely being a methodology and crosses over into the realm of specific practices and processes that support the organization. DevOps proposes a change in organizational structure to enhance collaboration between diverse departments such as Development, QA, and Operations.
- DevOps greatly improves Time-to-Market.
- It lowers the rate of failures.
- It shortens lead times and minimizes disruption.
- It automates continuous deployment cycles.
- It enhances employee efficacy as well as customer satisfaction.
- Some clients might feel that continuous updates are an unnecessary expense.
- Certain industries have regulations that demand exhaustive testing before it moves to the Operations team, and deploying DevOps could be very harsh on temporal resources.
- Diverse departments use their environments, and this may cause issues to arise in the production phase.
- QA requires Human interaction, and this too can slow the delivery pipeline down.
Waterfall Development Method
The Waterfall development method is considered to be the most traditional development process/methodology. This process is a relatively rigid model where each phase is distinct and follows the previous one-ie. Requirements, design, implementation, verification, maintenance, with each phase having distinctive goals that need to be achieved before moving on to the next phase.
- Being linear, the waterfall development methodology is very easy to manage.
- It is perfect for projects that have a clear objective and stable requirements.
- Less experienced project managers and project teams can prove effective in the waterfall model.
- The waterfall model can prove slow and cost-intensive.
- Most companies choose not to follow the waterfall methodology because of its rigid nature.
Rapid Application Development
If you wish to produce a high-quality system on a budget, then the condensed development process of RAD is the perfect methodology for your development initiative. With the implementation of RAD, developers can adjust to shifting requirements that are a mainstay of today’s continuously evolving market space.
The Rapid Application Development process consists of the following phases-
- Requirements gathering
- UI design
The construction phase continues until the client is satisfied with the product.
- RAD is perfect for projects with well-defined business goals and a clear target audience.
- RAD is the way to go for small to medium projects with a strict timeframe.
- Rapid application development requires a highly skilled team that can produce error-free outputs.
- The development team should sport deep knowledge of the application area for the organization to benefit from RAD.
Which Software Development Methodology Should You Choose?
The four software development processes/methodologies are the most popular today. Each of the above processes has its own pros and cons and unique use cases. While choosing a development methodology and software development services, keep the following considerations in mind.
1. Define Your Target Audience
If you are targeting a group of end-users with fixed requirements, adopting the waterfall methodology is suggested. The Agile methodology is the best option if your target audience is dispersed and you foresee feedback post-launch.
2. Scale and Scope
Scale and scope are important considerations as they dictate the number of developers required to complete the project. Larger projects require elaborate management plans, and in such cases, the waterfall methodology works best.
3. Sprint or Marathon Time-Frame
Development projects that require iterative releases fit seamlessly within the agile development methodology. Agile offers rapid progression for development initiatives that are time-bound.
If your development initiative does not have a deadline, then choosing the waterfall process makes sense.
4. Development Team’s Geo-Location
If you have brought an offshore development partner on board, then the importance of regular and lucid communication becomes even more essential. Agile offers an omni-directional flow of communication that keeps you updated with the progress of your development initiative.
With frequent communication and closely-knit teams, the Agile methodology is your best bet if you have chosen to outsource your software development project.
Tips to Hire the Perfect Development Team
When you hire dedicated software developers, the team you hire is the factor that dictates your development initiative’s success levels. When choosing a special development team, we recommend choosing a dedicated development team from Ukraine, because at a low cost you can achieve really high results. Here, we have collated a list of tips to assist you in choosing the perfect development team-
1. Assess prior experience
The ideal development resource should have a diverse portfolio and vetted experience in delivering project outcomes similar to your enterprise requirements. Customer reviews and ranking sites are a good place to begin your assessment of your prospective development partner.
2. Team Strength
Before settling on a development partner, make sure that they have the team strength and team composition that your development initiative would require. Timeframes and budgets are important factors to keep in mind while choosing a development partner. You can also use a Small Business CRM Software to effectively manage your team.
3. Development Methodologies and Project Management Processes
The development partner you choose should have the capacity to manage and deliver a project similar to yours in detail, scope, and complexity.
4. Consider the Location
Outsourcing is a highly cost-effective option. However, you need to effectively plan aspects like time management, code quality, and cross-over times so that your in-house team can interact in real-time with your outsourced resources.
5. Test Cycles
A clear understanding of your prospective partner’s testing methodologies and prowess is also essential. QA and testing both play a major role in the on-time deployment and budget alignment of your project.
Making an informed choice when it comes to development processes is essential to your development initiative’s success. Rigid models offer a false sense of security, given that future updates or rectifications can cause costs to stack up exponentially. We trust that with the information presented to you in this article, you will be able to make an informed and intelligent choice when choosing the right process for your software development initiative.
You may also like: Advantages and Disadvantages of custom software development