Click here to get this post in PDF
Do you want to move to a new house or apartment? We suggest considering options for new home developments on https://inewhomes.com/. New buildings have more modern fire safety systems. Also, when designing new buildings, safer layouts are chosen. You will see that new designs have more protective equipment and fire exits. Also in construction, hardly flammable and fire-resistant materials are used.
It is important to consider the building density in the area. We offer to evaluate new homes in CA. A spacious adjoining territory separating buildings from each other is also more preferable for fire safety rules. And in this article you will learn what simple everyday habits will help you save your property and life.
Home fire safety tips
Fire safety measures at home are nothing complicated. It is enough to choose an initially good building, and then not neglect the elementary rules. Remember that from the moment a fire breaks out, you have 3 minutes to leave your house to a safe place. Therefore, it is much easier to undertake fire precautions at home in advance. It will also save you money.
What should be done in advance?
Safety precautions for fire begin with a routine inspection of the electrical wiring and gas supply system. This can only be done by certified specialists with a license like Fireproofing contractor in Virginia. You can take the following steps yourself:
• Never leave candles unattended and use them only on stable surfaces, in suitable candlesticks.
• When using candles, consider whether pets might drop them?
• Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
• Place furniture at least two meters away from open flames or electrical heating appliances.
• Clean the chimney, then do it regularly if you have an open fire heating system.
• Empty cigarette ashtrays into a metal container outside your home before bed.
• Do not smoke in the bedroom as this is the main cause of house fires.
It is advisable to have a separate fire extinguisher on each floor. Check its expiration date periodically. Do not neglect the installation of stand-alone fire detectors. Change their batteries regularly.
Fire evacuation plan
It directly depends on the layout of the premises. There should be at least two exits from each room (except for the closet). Two doors are ideal. But more often there is a door and a window. Make sure that every family member can get out through the window if necessary. In condominiums and townhouses, management organizations can add fire escapes. In private houses, many owners neglect this measure so as not to spoil the exterior. Experts recommend spending a little more money on a beautiful and safe fire escape. She will become the guarantor of your peace of mind.
Monitor the health and use of electrical appliances
During the winter holidays, advice on the correct use of garlands and firecrackers becomes especially relevant. But the principles of basic security should also not be forgotten:
• Do not overload wall outlets with extension cords;
• Use extension cords with built-in fuses;
• Make sure the electrical cables are not frayed or damaged;
• Make sure you use the correct fuses for all appliances;
• Floor heaters must be reliably switched off in the event of overturning.
Fire safety in the kitchen
The kitchen is considered a hazardous area. Many electrical appliances are combined with a gas stove and open fire. Moreover, there is always water near electrical appliances. The following rules are strictly required:
• Never leave the stove unattended.
• Hold the pan handles over the stove to prevent hot oil from spilling onto the floor.
• Keep flammable items such as towels and potholders away from the stove.
In the kitchen, it makes sense to place a heat-sensitive detector instead of a smoke detector.
While the above tips have been specified for the home, these tips will equally work well in the workplace too.
You may also like: How Fire Safety Training Can Help Employees at Work