In the event that you are on the receiving end of calls from debt collectors, you need to maintain control of the conversation so as to reach an agreement on how you can pay the debt. One factor that works against many debtors is to appear all nervous and anxious during the call. There are tips for use to be in control of the debt as shown below;
- Find out background information of the collector. One way for you to determine your approach to them is by checking customer reviews to find out what others think of their services. Be sure to check out the company profile so that you have your facts about the person on the line.
- Focus on business. The fact that a collector has called you does not mean you go in panic revealing unnecessary details to them. Stick to the business at hand.
- Make a partial payment of the debt, enough to cover the commission of the collector. In most cases this works to buy you more time.
- Do not bow to any threats but instead ask to speak to a senior staff. Take note of any threats issued as you can use them later in case you sue.
- In case of a threat to sue, reason with the company of the extra cost involved in the process. Suggest a way of settling the debt.
- Consult an attorney to find out if the collector has grounds to collect from you.
- Simply inform them not to call you. Unless in the case of a huge debt, most collectors will rarely sue as this is an extra cost for them. Their trick is to keep calling you with an aim to have you settle the debt.
- Call ahead. Placing a call to the collector will have you more in control and you can call the shots. You are better able to negotiate the terms this way as you have shown a desire to pay the debt. Other than wait for them to call you, why don’t you beat them at their game and call them instead.
- In the event a collector calls you a debt you have no idea how it was arrived at, ask him to validate it. Most likely he will have to take a look at it and then get back to you. This gives you ample time to be able to check if the figure stated is right.
You can get the better of a debt recovery agency through use of these tactics. When you know how to bargain for terms to pay your debt, you will be more in control of the collector. It doesn’t matter if it is one person you owe or you owe several companies these methods will work either way. The case in point is to be able to negotiate for more time with the collector, thus being in control of making the repayment. It is you calling the shots even when a debtor.
About the Author
Hailing from the multi-diverse culture of India, Sunil Gupta prides himself in the creation of web and mobile apps for clients all over the world. With six years experience in web development and active online marketing, Sunil has been vocal in sharing his views on recent marketing trends and his reflections on past experiences. All his articles are designed to empower the reader with the latest tools and trends in the world of digital marketing. In his spare time, Sunil loves fishing and playing online games.
Twitter | Facebook | Google +