Form 4506-C allows you to receive a copy of the tax return you send to the IRS. This information might be crucial for you or allow you to designate the tax return data to another person. Form 4506-C is totally free of charge and requires no specific knowledge to fill it.
What Is Form 4506-C?
Many taxpayers don’t know the answer to the question “what is Form 4506-C?” since they might not even need the tax return copy from the IRS. Once the return is needed, these people can easily get confused. In short, Form 4506-C is also known as Request for Transcript of Tax Return. It must be filled by the taxpayer and sent to the IRS. The form may also be used to provide detailed information on your tax return to the third party if you need it. Your lender may ask you to provide the tax return information, and you have to send the form to the IRS.
The form allows the lender with the permission of the borrower to receive the information on the tax return. Apart from that, it can be used anywhere when financial information is required from you. The IRS Form 4506-C must be completed by the taxpayer and signed. You receive information on 1099 and W-2s forms you’ve filed to verify your ability to pay and confirm the total income. The answer sent by the IRS is official and can verify the information you’ve already provided about your taxes. Before 2021, taxpayers used the 4506-T form for this purpose.
When Is Form 4506-C Required?
The tax form 4506-C may be required in several cases. Usually, the taxpayer needs it:
- to prove the income to the lender, in case you want to borrow the money;
- in case you want to find the mistake that was made in the document. If you are doubtful about any provided information on your tax payments, you may also contact the IRS;
- if you want to inform the third party about your tax payments and whether you have a clear history of tax payments. In this case, you can designate IVES participants to get the information in the 5a line of the form.
How to Fill Out Form 4506-C?
It is time to learn how to fill out Form 4506-C. The document is only one page long. The second page offers you a detailed description of each line and how to fill it. It provides helpful instructions that you might need to read in advance. It also explains why you require the form and where to file to document. Provide the following information:
- Name that was written on the tax return, Social Security Number on the tax return, and another Social Security Number of the tax return is joined.
- If the return is joined, you also have to name your spouse.
- Provide the name, address, and ZIP code that you currently have.
- Include the previous address if it differs from the current one.
- Provide the name and address of the IVES participant.
- File the number of the customer if you need it.
- Enter the name of the tax form that is requested and pick the box you need.
- Name the period of time or the year you want to receive information about.
- Put the signature, date, phone number, and spouse’s signature if you need it.
How to Submit Form 4506-C?
After you sign the form and make sure it is completed properly, you can file it. The IVES member faxes the form with the cover sheet approved by IVES to the Service Center. There is a list of addresses you can send the form to. You can use the fax. Search for the Submission Processing Center that is the closest to your area. Apart from that, you may directly contact the IRS; the address is located on the form.
Based on article by PDFLiner: How to Fill out Form 4506-C
About the Author
Tax Consultant & Co-Owner at PDFLiner
You may also like: How to File your Tax Returns without Hassles or Delays